Walmart is a strong partner in the fight against hunger, supporting Feeding America and food banks across the country in many ways. In 2013, for example, Walmart provided the Food Bank with grants for multiple projects; donated millions of pounds of food and non-food items from individual stores and its Distribution Center; supplied warehouse volunteers; and maintained active representation on our Board of Directors. In these and other ways, Walmart proved itself a friend to those in need.
Last year, Walmart provided the Food Bank $263,000 in grants alone, enabling us to start new programs, expand others, and fund a portion of our daily operations:
- $105,000 to purchase a truck
- $55,000 to expand the Retail Store Donation Program
- $50,000 to set up a SNAP Outreach Program in Warren County
- $30,000 to expand Mobile Pantry distributions
- $15,000 to offset transportation costs
- $8,000 to fund general operations
Walmart’s food and non-food donations provide member agencies with items that are in high demand such as meat, produce, bathroom tissue, paper towels, and diapers. Low-income people live better when they receive these at their local food pantries.
Walmart’s philanthropic spirit expands the Food Bank’s … Read the rest