Although free and reduced breakfast and lunch programs provide significant nutritional benefits to students during the school day, many disadvantaged children do not have access to regular meals when school is not in session. The BackPack Program helps alleviate child hunger by discreetly providing hungry children with backpacks full of nutritious and easy-to-prepare food on Friday afternoons so they have food to eat throughout the weekend.
Each BackPack contains:
- 2+ breakfast items (cereal, oatmeal packets, graham crackers, granola bars)
- 3+ entrées (mac & cheese, PB & J, Spaghettios, tuna, soup)
- A loaf of bread
- Milk card for a gallon of milk (distributed every other week)
- Egg card for a dozen eggs (distributed every other week)
- Fresh fruits
- Canned vegetables (distributed monthly)
- 2 snacks (cookies, popcorn, pudding, etc.)
Menus change each week to provide participating children with variety.
Who we serve
The BackPack Program serves more than 6,500 students in 240 schools across 22 counties.
The BackPack Program continues to grow. We are excited to talk to potential new BackPack partner schools about enrolling in the BackPack Program throughout the school year.
Please contact the Food Bank to learn more about the BackPack Program onboarding process.
How you can help
To donate to the BackPack Program, make a cash donation here and choose “BackPack Program” in the Program Designation drop-down menu.
For more information about the Backpack Program, please contact 518-786-3691 or email@example.com.