MEMO RE COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
As a member of Feeding America, the national network of 200 food banks, the Regional Food Bank is in close communication with this network, sharing contingency plans and best practices. In a recent statement regarding its COVID-19 planning, Feeding America emphasized it is “…actively consulting with FEMA, National VOAD (National Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster), the USDA and leveraging other partners who are in a position to support measures to ensure access to food for the most vulnerable members of our communities during this situation.”
FOR OUR VOLUNTEERS
We value you, our volunteers. Your work is critical in getting healthy food out to vulnerable populations, and your wellbeing is important to us. If you feel sick, please stay home to reduce the risk of spreading illness. At this time, we have decided to keep our volunteer shifts intact. If cancellations prove to be necessary, we will communicate this information with you as soon as possible via email or phone calls. If you need to cancel a volunteer shift, please contact our Volunteer Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have taken precautions to help ensure staff and volunteers stay safe during their shifts.
These precautions include:
- Messaging volunteers about not coming in if they are not well, have a fever, or have travelled outside the country
- Insisting volunteers age 70 and older, those with compromised immune systems, and those with underlying illnesses NOT volunteer to comply with Governor Cuomo’s Matilda’s Law
- Reducing the number of people per shift
- Setting up volunteer work spaces to allow for 6-feet between people
- Having volunteers sanitize and glove their hands when entering the building
- Stationing gloves, hand sanitizer, and disinfecting wipes in volunteer areas for frequent use
- Sanitizing high-touch points every two hours and at the end of each shift, including scales and touch-pads, tables, clipboards, pens, markers, sign-in consoles, door handles, broom handles, tape guns, and box cutters