Although millions of preteens and teens live without consistent access to wholesome foods, few programs are designed to meet their nutritional needs. The Regional Food Bank’s School Pantry program partners with middle and high schools to provide a flexible food pantry model where participating students can choose the foods they’d like based on their preferences and cooking ability.
Schools may order the food that they feel will be most beneficial for participating students and fits within their program’s budget.
Download our flyer to learn more about the program.
Food provided through School Pantry includes:
- Breakfast items: cereal, pancake mix and syrup, corned beef hash, oatmeal
- Entrees: peanut butter and jelly, beef stew, tuna fish, macaroni and cheese, canned soups, spaghetti rings, chili, beans and rice, spaghetti and sauce
- Fruit: Fresh or canned fruit (peaches, cocktail, pineapple)
- Vegetables: Fresh or canned vegetables (corn, green beans, peas)
- Bread: Fresh or other grain products (pasta, crackers, stuffing)
- Milk and Egg Cards: Redeemable for 1 gallon of milk and 1 dozen eggs at Stewart’s Shops.
- Snack items: popcorn, granola bars, cookies
- Coordinated meals: Chicken Parm (chicken patties, pasta sauce, spaghetti, mozzarella cheese), Shepard’s Pie (beef stew, gravy, instant potatoes, canned corn), Tuna Cassarole (tuna, egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, green beans)
- Frozen foods (optional, when schools have available freezer space): hot dogs, chicken tenders, ravioli, tater tots, cheese
- Non-food items: toilet paper, laundry detergent, shampoo, soap
WHO WE SERVE
The School Pantry program is the newest children’s program at the Regional Food Bank and is currently partnering with 3 schools. The Food Bank is eager to work with additional schools to expand the program further to help more children. Interested schools can reach out to the Food Bank to learn more about the onboarding process.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
To donate to the School Pantry program, make a donation here and choose “School Pantry” in the Program Designation drop-down menu.
For more information about the school pantry program please contact the Children’s Service Department at 518-786-3691.